Federal Way, WA, Car Accident Lawyers
When someone hits you with their vehicle, you may suffer injuries like minor cuts and scrapes, or you could suffer catastrophic injuries. The at-fault driver, or their insurance company, should pay for your medical expenses and other damages. Our Federal Way, WA, car accident attorneys can help you protect your rights and get the compensation you deserve.
After an accident, the at-fault driver’s insurance company is usually responsible for paying damages. However, insurance companies will certainly try to avoid paying a claim; and they’re notorious for offering minimal amounts to settle.
If you suffered injuries or lost a loved one in a car accident, contact one of our Bellingham, WA car accident lawyers at Strong Law at 206-741-1053 for a free case evaluation and assistance in dealing with insurers.
Our Team Gets Results for Our Clients
Find Out Why So Many People Trust Strong Law
Our Federal Way, WA, car accident team works hard to get results for our clients. We take the time necessary to investigate your car accident case to the fullest extent. We leave no stone unturned so that we can represent your interests to the best of our ability.
The legal system is complex; and if your car accident case has more than one person at fault, it becomes even more complicated. Count on our experience, our strategic and negotiating skills and our knowledge of the law. We make sure insurance companies and other defendants do not violate your rights. We will make sure that you get all the compensation you deserve. Some of our results include:
- A client was rear-ended while sitting at a stoplight. His neck surgery forced him to stay in a rehabilitation center for two months. We recovered $1.1 million for him.
- A drunk driver crossed the center line, causing a head-on collision with our clients. We recovered $1 million for them.
- A vehicle hit our client as the client was crossing the street. His injuries required surgery on his knee and shoulder and caused him to be out for work for over a year. We recovered $900,000 for him.
- Our client was a passenger in the vehicle driven by an acquaintance. Unbeknownst to our client, the acquaintance was drunk. The driver crashed into a tree, causing our client to suffer neck injuries that required surgery. We recovered $875,000 for our client.
- Three young children were riding in a car that was T-boned while the driver was making a left turn into a parking lot. The three children suffered injuries in the wreck. We recovered $680,000 for the children.
Each matter is unique, and your results may vary.
Proving Liability in a Federal Way, WA, Car Accident
Our Experienced Attorneys Know How to Show Who Was at Fault
In some cases, it is obvious who was at fault in a car accident. In other cases, your attorney might have to retain private investigators to determine who was at fault in the car accident. While the police report can point to liability, it is not the only tool a car accident lawyer in Bellingham will use.
To recover damages in a car accident, you must be able to show that the other driver met the four elements to prove liability. Those elements are:
- The driver – also known as the defendant – had a duty of care not to harm you.
- The driver violated that duty.
- The driver’s actions caused your injuries.
- You suffered damages as a result of those actions.
More than one person could meet these elements – and if they do, they are also responsible for your injuries and other damages.
To help prove who shares in the liability for the damages you can collect, our Federal Way car accident lawyers will investigate the accident scene and use expert witnesses to recreate the accident, when necessary. Our attorneys will also interview first responders, police officers and other witnesses who were at the scene of the accident.
What to Do After a Car Accident in Federal Way, WA
In many cases, your injuries could prevent you from doing anything after a car accident. However, if you feel that you can move around without causing additional harm to yourself, you should take the following steps after a car wreck:
- Call first responders and check on others involved in the wreck.
- Obtain the other drivers’ contact information, insurance information and registration information.
- Speak to witnesses. First, obtain a good phone number from anyone who witnessed the accident. You can also ask a witness what he or she saw. If you do, be sure to take notes about which witness said what.
- Allow the emergency medical technicians to check you over, even if you believe your injuries are minor. Some injuries will not manifest for hours or even a day or two.
- After the police release you from the scene, seek medical attention as soon as possible. Let the medical personnel know that you were in an accident and you want to ensure that you do not have any injuries that have not manifested yet.
- Contact our car accident lawyers in Federal Way, WA.
Recoverable Damages After a Car Accident in Federal Way
In Washington, you can recover economic damages and non-economic damages. You cannot recover punitive or exemplary damages for a car accident in Washington State, even if the at-fault driver’s actions or inactions were grossly negligent.
Economic damages and non-economic damages are compensatory damages. The court orders these types of damages in an attempt to make you whole again. While the money does not bring back a loved one, it does reduce financial stress for family members and for the accident victim who might not be able to work again.
Special damages, usually referred to as economic damages, have a monetary value. They include:
- Past and Future Medical Expenses: Past medical expenses are those you incurred because of the accident and prior to a trial award or a settlement. Future medical expenses are those you expect to incur after you settle or win a trial award. Medical expenses also include any therapy you might need, such as cognitive and other psychological therapies, occupational therapy and physical therapy.
- Past and Future Lost Wages: Past lost wages are those you lost from the time of the accident through the time you settle your case or win a trial award. Future lost wages are those you expect to continue losing after a settlement or a trial award. If you are able to work but your disabilities prevent you from making the same hourly rate or salary as prior to the accident, you could recover partial future lost wages.
Economic losses also include property damage. These damages sometimes have an emotional component as well.
Compensation for out-of-pocket expenses is essential in these situations. Simply stated, car crash victims need money to put their shattered lives back together. This money should never come from their own bank accounts.
But this compensation, by itself, does not make the victim whole again, as required by Washington State law. No one can turn back the clock and change what happened. So, financial compensation for non-economic losses is the next best thing. These categories of damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment in life
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium (companionship and contribution to household affairs).
It is very difficult for anyone to put a price tag on items like these. To determine a reasonable amount for these damages, our Federal Way car accident lawyers often partner with accountants, psychologists, and other outside professionals. We never ask for more than is fair, and we never force you to settle for less.
There Is No Fee Unless Our Federal Way, WA, Car Accident Lawyers Win
Many attorneys charge by the hour. It is not unusual for a top attorney to charge more than $1,000 per hour. Your car accident claim is extremely valuable, as outlined above. However, an hourly fee is not feasible for most families, particularly hourly fees in the middle or upper range. That’s especially true since most car crash victims are unable to work and have no current income.
At the same time, legal representation is vital. Insurance companies have almost unlimited resources. They do not hesitate to hire lawyers to defend their interests. In fact, many large insurance companies have attorneys on retainer. These lawyers are just waiting for the chance to reduce or deny compensation to car accident victims.
Consequently, many victims are in a quandary. They know they need legal representation, but they could have trouble paying for it.
Our Federal Way, WA, attorneys solve this problem by working on a contingent fee basis. Usually, our personal injury clients pay no upfront legal fees. Therefore, families get top representation without worrying about paying another bill.
Furthermore, because our firm has such significant resources, we usually advance all litigation costs as well, such as filing fees, deposition costs, and expert witness fees.
Your initial meeting with a lawyer is free as well. To win the compensation you deserve, contact our Federal Way, WA, car accident attorneys at 206-741-1053 for a free case evaluation as soon as possible.
Federal Way, WA, Car Accident FAQs
When should I contact a car accident lawyer in Federal Way, WA?
My accident was not in Federal Way, and the at-fault driver and I live in another city. Do I have to use your Federal Way office?
The insurance adjuster for the defendant’s insurance company keeps calling me. What should I do?
I need to have my car fixed before my case settles. How do I get it fixed?
If the driver who hit me was on the job, can I also collect from his or her employer?
If I caused an accident because of a defective part on my vehicle that the manufacturer would not recall, can I sue the manufacturer?
Is it possible to suffer post-traumatic stress disorder after an accident?
What if the accident was my fault?