Wrongful Death Lawyers
Our Tacoma wrongful death lawyers can help if you have tragically lost a loved one due someone else’s negligence or fault. Losing a loved one is always traumatic, but there’s something especially distressing about knowing that this tragedy could have been prevented. It’s no wonder, then, that wrongful death cases cause so much distress. It’s only natural to experience grief and anger after losing a spouse or child due to somebody else’s negligence.
As emotionally wrenching as it is to lose a loved one, legal challenges make the ordeal especially awful. Family members are often forced to take on a variety of expenses. These include everything from medical bills to funerals. Instead of receiving the opportunity to properly grieve and say goodbye, they must deal with a mountain of paperwork and, often, debt. All this can cause lingering trauma that continues for years.
OUR TACOMA WRONGFUL DEATH ATTORNEYS MUST IDENTIFY PARTIES WHO WERE NEGLIGENT
Negligent parties should be held accountable for the misdeeds that lead to preventable deaths. This can be accomplished through Washington’s legal system. Unfortunately, navigating this process can be messy.
Why deal with such challenges when our Tacoma wrongful death lawyers can advocate on your behalf? With the right attorney on your side, you can obtain maximum compensation while keeping the stress of the legal process to a minimum.
The Tacoma wrongful death attorneys of Strong Law are there to support you every step of the way. We advocate not only for personal injury victims, but also for the loved ones of those who die due to negligence. Let us ease the burden and deliver the damages you deserve.
Damages Available to Tacoma Wrongful Death Beneficiaries
A variety of different types of damages ease the financial burdens that beneficiaries face after their family members pass away. These forms of compensation recognize both practical expenses and the emotional burden of losing a loved one:
- Funeral and burial costs. Expenses tied to funeral services can add up quickly, leaving family members struggling to get by even as they handle rapidly rising health care costs. To ease this burden, wrongful death damages may cover everything from caskets to funeral home rental.
- Lost wages. Victims in wrongful death cases are often primary breadwinners. Their death can create a significant financial burden for spouses, partners, and children, who may not be able to cover basic life necessities without the decedent’s income. Wrongful death compensation acknowledges this by providing the funds needed for loved ones to get back on their feet.
- Loss of consortium. The loss of a family member isn’t simply traumatic due to financial concerns, although, of course, these can be difficult to endure. Far worse, however, is the emotional trauma that comes with losing the support and affection that the victim previously provided. These losses can be accounted for in Washington wrongful death cases. Known as “loss of consortium,” these concerns may not be as tangible as funeral expenses, but that doesn’t make them any less important to recover.
WORKING WITH OUR TACOMA WRONGFUL DEATH ATTORNEYS
No matter the circumstances of your loved one’s passing, you can benefit from the targeted assistance of our wrongful death lawyers in Tacoma. Our attorneys can help you gather critical evidence to demonstrate that responsible parties acted negligently and that the negligent behavior was to blame for the victim’s death.
Our Tacoma wrongful death lawyers can make all the difference as you take on the burden of navigating Washington’s legal system. Proactive, aggressive representation is crucial. Without it, you risk missing out on much-needed damages. What’s more, a lack of legal assistance may leave you struggling to find a sense of justice or closure. Our Tacoma wrongful death attorneys can deliver all this and more.
Along the way, our lawyers will provide the confidence and compassion needed to make the legal process a little less stressful. You’ll feel far better knowing that you can turn to our wrongful death attorneys with any questions you may have. With Strong Law as your resource, you’ll receive prompt, accurate answers.
A WRONGFUL DEATH LAWSUIT CAN PROVIDE COMPENSATION TO FAMILY MEMBERS
While it’s natural to feel lonely after losing a friend or family member to negligence, you aren’t truly alone during these challenging times. The attorneys of Strong Law are happy to step in with empathetic guidance. Our lawyers are highly regarded throughout the Tacoma area, and with good reason — they boast a strong track record with wrongful death cases.
If you’re ready to move forward with your wrongful death case, you’ll begin by meeting with our trusted legal team. We’ll discuss the specifics of your case to get a better sense of your situation, your goals, and your preferred legal approach. From there, we customize our service so as to best meet your unique needs.
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT TACOMA WRONGFUL DEATH CASES
Our wrongful death lawyers are aware that after a loved one’s death you may have many questions and concerns, all while you also deal with your grief. Being better informed may help set your mind at ease about moving forward with a wrongful death lawsuit. The following are answers to common questions our clients often ask:
What are primary and secondary beneficiaries?
In Washington, beneficiaries can be categorized as primary or secondary. Primary beneficiaries include spouses, domestic partners, and children. The secondary category involves parents and siblings, who can recover damages only if primary beneficiaries do not exist. Washington does not currently require secondary beneficiaries to be financially dependent on deceased individuals in order to collect damages in wrongful death cases.
Are punitive damages available for Tacoma wrongful death cases?
As the name implies, punitive damages aim to punish responsible parties for the suffering caused by their negligence. This type of compensation can be difficult to obtain in Washington. In cases involving extreme recklessness or malicious intent, however, punitive damages may be possible.
What is SB 5163? How does it impact my wrongful death case?
Passed by the Washington legislature in 2019, SB 5163 altered several aspects of the state’s approach to wrongful death. For example, the bill enables plaintiffs who do not currently reside in the U.S. to file wrongful death lawsuits. Additionally, parents can now seek damages when their adult children pass away due to negligence.
What is the statute of limitations for wrongful death in Washington State?
In Washington, it’s possible to initiate wrongful death claims up to three years after the date of a fatality. At first glance, the three-year period mimics the general statute of limitations for Washington personal injury cases. Keep in mind, however, that the statute of limitations for wrongful death involves the date of the fatality and not the accident itself. This is an important distinction, as victims can pass away weeks or even months after being involved in an accident. It’s important to work with a wrongful death lawyer as soon as possible to ensure that your case can proceed.
What is a survival action? How does it differ from a wrongful death lawsuit?
A survival action looks similar to a wrongful death lawsuit in several respects but holds a key difference: it involves the actions a deceased individual could have taken in a personal injury lawsuit, had he or she not died. Often, survival cases center around medical bills that arrived between the time of the accident and the victim’s death. This designation further complicates an already confusing process, making it especially important to seek legal counsel.
TYPES OF WRONGFUL DEATH CASES
A variety of negligent activities and behaviors can lead to the untimely loss of a loved one. These can be attributed to both businesses and individuals. They may occur at business premises, medical facilities, or on the road — and may result from unsafe settings or products. Common examples include:
- Nursing home abuse. Negligence and mistreatment are tragically common in nursing homes and other residential facilities. Wrongful death cases may involve either purposeful actions — such as the use of excessive restraint — or inaction, leading to anything from starvation to deadly infections.
- Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents. If a crash occurs due to speeding, drinking while driving, or other reckless behaviors, the driver may be held responsible. Likewise, wrongful death cases can involve vehicle manufacturers, as was famously the case for the Ford Pinto.
- Slip and fall. Grocery stores, gas stations, and a variety of other businesses expose patrons to considerable danger when they fail to maintain safe surfaces that minimize the risk of tripping or slipping. Unfortunately, puddles, uneven floorboards, torn carpet, and ice are all common causes of falls. When these problems lead to broken hips or concussions, they can prove deadly.
- Medical malpractice. Wrongful death is tragically common within medical facilities, where negligent health care professionals can leave patients prone to a variety of deadly problems. These include misdiagnosis, improper prescriptions, surgical errors, or hospital-acquired infections. When vulnerable patients are involved, even seemingly minor errors may lead to preventable fatalities.
”Highly Recommend to anyone in need of a law firm! Katrina was great the entire process, always quick to respond when I had questions and great at explaining everything. Great experience” – Shannon Carroll (Google Review)
“I hired Strong Law after my car accident. Jed and his team worked hard on my case. They were professional and compassionate through my surgery and as I recovered, and they were awesome on communication. I got justice and awesome compensation. I would recommend Strong Law to anyone in my situation.”
– Rick R.
“I want to thank Jed and Tory of Strong Law for their outstanding help with my case. The attention to details and keeping me informed at all times made for a positive outcome. Thank you again for your help, determination, and hard work. I would not hesitate to recommend you to anyone in need of an excellent lawyer.”
– Jaretta O.
“Unbelievable work! I had a claim involving my own insurance company. I tried to negotiate with them, and they completely denied my claim – two times. I then hired Strong Law, and the change was instant. The insurance company immediately began negotiating, and Jed was able to secure an unbelievably good settlement. I will never again attempt to take-on an insurance company without Strong Law in my corner. Thank you!”
– Jonathon S.
“Absolutely outstanding! I was involved in a motorcycle accident and Jed led the way! Definitely top notch! When it matters, call strong law!”
– Edwin S.
“While working a wrongful death case of my husband’s, throughout the legal process, Jed pursued every possible resource and angle to ensure that we would receive policy limits despite intense resistance from the representatives of the insurance companies. We are deeply grateful to him for the funds we received and the lasting friendship that grew out of the entire ordeal.”
FILING A WRONGFUL DEATH CLAIM
The wrongful death process begins with a consultation. This key meeting establishes the attorney-client relationship and can set the stage for all legal activity to follow. From there, your wrongful death attorney will gather and present evidence to demonstrate:
- That the alleged individual or person held a duty of care toward the victim — and should not have caused harm.
- That this duty of care was breached.
- That the defendant’s actions — and not other circumstances — led to the victim’s death.
All this can be difficult to prove, in part, because the victim is not available to provide testimony.
Instead, attorneys must rely on medical records, police reports, and other evidence. A thorough understanding of local statutes is critical for overcoming the many barriers that exist in Tacoma wrongful death cases.
STRONG LAW: TRUSTED WRONGFUL DEATH LAWYERS
Strong Law has offices in Tacoma, Washington; Portland, Oregon; and Salt Lake City, Utah. We are highly respected in all three of these metro areas, as well as in surrounding suburbs and other nearby communities. Clients appreciate our tireless devotion. We won’t rest until we’ve secured the damages you deserve.
If you’re ready to move forward with your wrongful death case in Tacoma, don’t hesitate to contact the team at Strong Law. Our wrongful death lawyers can get you pointed in the right direction during your free consultation. Call 206-741-1054 today.