Billings Wrongful Death Lawyers
Losing a cherished one due to an individual else’s negligence or fault is especially heartbreaking. Our Billings wrongful death attorneys comprehend the turmoil and distress you may be feeling, as it’s only natural to experience grief and anger following such a tragedy that could have been prevented. We are here to help you during this difficult time of mourning, providing legal counsel throughout every step of your case so that justice can be served for the beloved person who has passed away too soon.
As agonizing as it is to experience the loss of a loved one, adding legal challenges to this tragedy can make it unbearable. The grieving process can be delayed due to having to manage an influx of paperwork and possibly debt stemming from medical bills or funeral costs. This unfortunate circumstance has been known to cause long-term psychological trauma for those affected by it.
IDENTIFYING WHO IS NEGLIGENT IN A BILLINGS WRONGFUL DEATH CASE
Those responsible for preventable deaths should face the consequences of their wrongful acts through Montana’s justice system. Despite its complexity, this is the only viable way to ensure that negligence does not go unpunished.
With the help of an experienced Billings wrongful death attorney, you can secure substantial compensation and minimize the difficultly associated with this legal process. Our team is dedicated to advocating for your rights so that you don’t have to face such challenges alone.
At Strong Law, our Billings wrongful death attorneys are dedicated to being there for you during your time of need. We fight aggressively not only on behalf of injured individuals, but also the family members and loved ones who have lost a beloved due to someone else’s carelessness. Let us shoulder some of the emotional weight while ensuring that justice is served and you receive fair compensation for your loss.
The Types of Damages Available for a Wrongful Death Case in Billings
Beneficiaries are often confronted with hefty financial responsibilities after the passing of a family member, but damages stemming from various sources can help lighten their burden. These forms of compensation recognize both practical expenses and the emotional burden of losing a loved one:
- Funeral and burial costs. Funeral costs can be exorbitant, leaving relatives already dealing with mounting medical bills in a financial lurch. Fortunately, wrongful death damages may provide relief by covering expenses such as casket and funeral home rental fees.
- Lost wages. When a family suffers the sudden and unexpected loss of their primary breadwinner due to wrongful death, it can be devastating for those who depended on them financially. Loved ones are often left with no way to cover basic necessities without that income, which is why wrongful death compensation exists – as an acknowledgment of this tragedy and a means for grieving families to get back on their feet.
- Loss of consortium. More than the monetary costs of a family member’s passing, one is often afflicted with emotional distress from losing the support and love that person provided. In Montana, legal action for such losses can be taken in wrongful death cases via “loss of consortium” awards. While these may not have as tangible results as funeral expenses do, they are just as important to retain justice for your loss.
LEARN HOW AN BILLINGS WRONGFUL DEATH ATTORNEY CAN HELP
If your loved one has passed away due to the negligence of another, our wrongful death lawyers in Billings can help. We will work with you to gather evidence and build a case that demonstrates how the responsible party’s actions led to the victim’s death. With our experienced legal team by your side, you can get justice for your loved one.
Our Billings wrongful death attorneys are here to help you as you attempt to make sense of the complex legal system in your state. Proactivity and aggression is essential; if not, it could result in missing out on vital damages. Additionally, attempting this journey alone can be difficult during a time where justice or closure may feel far away. Our lawyers will ensure that these needs do not fall short while providing incomparable representation throughout your case.
Our legal team will provide the assurance and sympathy necessary to make going through with the court process a bit more bearable. Knowing that you can rely on our wrongful death lawyers for any inquiries or concerns would be immensely reassuring. With Strong Law by your side, you’ll receive speedy yet precise responses in no time at all!
GETTING COMPENSATION FOR THE FAMILY OF THE VICTIM
Suffering from the loss of a loved one due to negligence can be isolating, however you are not alone in this experience. The trusted lawyers at Strong Law understand your pain and want to provide guidance within Billings. Our legal team is highly regarded for their successful track record with wrongful death cases and will work diligently to bring justice on your behalf.
Ready to take action on your wrongful death case? Our experienced legal team is here for you. At our initial meeting, we will delve into the details surrounding your situation, objectives, and preferred approach. That way, our service can be tailored to best fit the specific needs of your individual case. Let us assist in getting you through this difficult time by delivering a personalized experience that caters to what matters most: You!
FAQ’s FOR BILLINGS WRONGFUL DEATH CASES
Our wrongful death attorneys understand the combination of emotions you may experience after a loved one’s passing and are here to provide much-needed clarity. We will do our utmost to resolve your questions, alleviate any worries and keep you informed as we strive towards initiating a wrongful death lawsuit. The following are answers to common questions our clients often ask:
What are primary and secondary beneficiaries?
In Montana, beneficiaries are split into two categories: primary and secondary. When it comes to the former, these can include spouses, domestic partners, or children of those who have passed away due to wrongful death. As for secondaries – that includes parents and siblings-they may be able to receive damages only if there were no primary members left behind. The good news is that unlike other states in America; Montana does not require such parties as dependents on their lost loved ones financially prior them getting compensated for a wrongful death claim.
Are punitive damages available for Billings wrongful death cases?
In Montana, punitive damages are uncommon but may be achievable in certain cases of extreme recklessness or maliciousness. As its name implies, punitive damages seek to penalize wrongdoers for the suffering they have inflicted upon individuals. Although it can often be a difficult endeavor to acquire this form of compensation, doing so provides those affected with just retribution and closure.
What is the statute of limitations for wrongful death in Montana State?
In Montana, wrongful death claims can be made up to three years following the date of fatality. This is similar to the statute of limitations in an Montana personal injury case; however, it’s based off when your loved one passed away—not necessarily when they were injured or got into their accident. It might take weeks or even months before someone passes due to a severe injury and you don’t want this timeline affecting your legal opportunities for justice. That’s why it’s crucial that you contact a wrongful death attorney right away so as not to lose out on any potential claim you may have.
What is a survival action? How does it differ from a wrongful death lawsuit?
Although a survival action is similar to a wrongful death lawsuit, it serves as an avenue for the deceased individual’s family members who may have been injured in their own right. Survival cases commonly involve medical bills accrued between the accident and victim’s passing, further complicating this already complex procedure. With all of these factors at play, seeking legal counsel is essential should you find yourself in such circumstances.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF WRONGFUL DEATH CASES
A variety of negligent activities and behaviors can lead to the untimely loss of a loved one. These can be attributed to both businesses and individuals. They may occur at business premises, medical facilities, or on the road — and may result from unsafe settings or products. Common examples include:
- Nursing home abuse. Negligence and mistreatment are tragically common in nursing homes and other residential facilities. Wrongful death cases may involve either purposeful actions — such as the use of excessive restraint — or inaction, leading to anything from starvation to deadly infections.
- Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents. If a crash occurs due to speeding, drinking while driving, or other reckless behaviors, the driver may be held responsible. Likewise, wrongful death cases can involve vehicle manufacturers, as was famously the case for the Ford Pinto.
- Slip and fall. Grocery stores, gas stations, and a variety of other businesses expose patrons to considerable danger when they fail to maintain safe surfaces that minimize the risk of tripping or slipping. Unfortunately, puddles, uneven floorboards, torn carpet, and ice are all common causes of falls. When these problems lead to broken hips or concussions, they can prove deadly.
- Medical malpractice. Wrongful death is tragically common within medical facilities, where negligent health care professionals can leave patients prone to a variety of deadly problems. These include misdiagnosis, improper prescriptions, surgical errors, or hospital-acquired infections. When vulnerable patients are involved, even seemingly minor errors may lead to preventable fatalities.
”Highly Recommend to anyone in need of a law firm! Katrina was great the entire process, always quick to respond when I had questions and great at explaining everything. Great experience” – Shannon Carroll (Google Review)
“I hired Strong Law after my car accident. Jed and his team worked hard on my case. They were professional and compassionate through my surgery and as I recovered, and they were awesome on communication. I got justice and awesome compensation. I would recommend Strong Law to anyone in my situation.”
– Rick R.
“I want to thank Jed and Tory of Strong Law for their outstanding help with my case. The attention to details and keeping me informed at all times made for a positive outcome. Thank you again for your help, determination, and hard work. I would not hesitate to recommend you to anyone in need of an excellent lawyer.”
– Jaretta O.
“Unbelievable work! I had a claim involving my own insurance company. I tried to negotiate with them, and they completely denied my claim – two times. I then hired Strong Law, and the change was instant. The insurance company immediately began negotiating, and Jed was able to secure an unbelievably good settlement. I will never again attempt to take-on an insurance company without Strong Law in my corner. Thank you!”
– Jonathon S.
“Absolutely outstanding! I was involved in a motorcycle accident and Jed led the way! Definitely top notch! When it matters, call strong law!”
– Edwin S.
“While working a wrongful death case of my husband’s, throughout the legal process, Jed pursued every possible resource and angle to ensure that we would receive policy limits despite intense resistance from the representatives of the insurance companies. We are deeply grateful to him for the funds we received and the lasting friendship that grew out of the entire ordeal.”
FILING A WRONGFUL DEATH CLAIM IN MONTANA
The wrongful death process begins with a consultation. This key meeting establishes the attorney-client relationship and can set the stage for all legal activity to follow. From there, your wrongful death attorney will gather and present evidence to demonstrate:
- That the alleged individual or person held a duty of care toward the victim — and should not have caused harm.
- That this duty of care was breached.
- That the defendant’s actions — and not other circumstances — led to the victim’s death.
All this can be difficult to prove, in part, because the victim is not available to provide testimony.
Instead, attorneys must rely on medical records, police reports, and other evidence. A thorough understanding of local statutes is critical for overcoming the many barriers that exist in Billings wrongful death cases.
STRONG LAW: TRUSTED WRONGFUL DEATH LAWYERS
Strong Law has offices in Billings, Montana; Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; Tacoma, Washington; Portland, Oregon; and Salt Lake City, Utah. We are highly respected in all three of these metro areas, as well as in surrounding suburbs and other nearby communities. Clients appreciate our tireless devotion. We won’t rest until we’ve secured the damages you deserve.
If you’re ready to move forward with your wrongful death case in Billings, don’t hesitate to contact the team at Strong Law. Our wrongful death lawyers can get you pointed in the right direction during your free consultation. Call 206-741-1054 today.