Portland Product Liability Lawyers
We Win 98 Percent of Our Cases
When you buy a product and use it as intended, you do not expect it to harm you, but products that are defective can cause serious injuries and even death. Manufacturers must ensure that their products are safe for consumers to use, or to have a warning if there is some inherent risk in the product.
When this does not happen and a dangerous or defective product harmed you or a family member, you may be able to get compensation through a product liability lawsuit.
Oregon laws regarding product liability are complicated, and product manufacturers and their insurance companies have high-powered lawyers who try to deny claims, get you to accept less than your case is worth, or make it seem as if the injury was your fault.
Making mistakes can be costly, so this is not something you should try to handle on your own. At Strong Law, our Portland product liability lawyers know the laws and the tactics insurance companies use and are fully prepared to fight for the compensation you deserve.
We offer a free consultation to discuss the facts of your case and determine the best way to move forward. There are no fees to you unless and until we win your case, so call us today at 206-741-1053 to get started.
Our Portland Product Liability Attorney Can Help
Why Choose Us?
There are many lawyers in Portland, and you should look for one you not only feel comfortable with but who has experience with product liability and the resources to properly investigate and handle your case. Product liability cases can be complex and involve multiple defendants, so having the right attorney on your side can make a major difference. Here are some reasons why we feel you should choose Strong Law:
- We are experienced. Attorney Jed Strong, the founder of Strong Law, once worked for GEICO insurance company as one of its in-house attorneys, so he has learned the inner workings of insurance companies. He uses this inside knowledge to help negotiate with insurers and advocate for his clients. He is a strong litigator who has taken numerous cases to trial and obtained exceptional verdicts for his clients.
- We get results and have a long record of success. We have won 98% of our cases, including a $1.1M car accident case verdict.
- We work closely with and take a personal interest in our clients. You can read our client testimonials to prove it.
- We are licensed to practice in Washington, Oregon, and Utah to better serve all your case needs.
- We negotiate forcefully with insurance companies but are ready to take your case to court, if necessary.
- We offer free consultations and you can call us 24/7 for emergencies.
How Our Portland Defective Product Lawyers Works for You
When you have our Strong Law product liability team on your side, we will start working on your behalf immediately. We will:
- Meet with you to discuss how the product injured you and determine who the at-fault parties may be and what type of settlement to go after.
- Ensure you get proper medical care and that all symptoms and treatments are documented.
- Investigate your and gather evidence to help prove your claims, such as the defective product itself, photographs and videos of damages and injuries, interviews with witnesses and first responders, and police and medical reports and records.
- Hire experts to reconstruct the accident and determine fault, and experts to testify as to the extent of your damages and losses and how they will affect you into the future.
- Handle all communications and negotiations with insurance companies so you do not have to.
- Build your case and take it to court, if necessary.
Our Portland product liability attorneys at Strong Law will do everything possible to get you the settlement you deserve. Do not delay, as there are time limits for filing, and it takes time to gather evidence, research, and build your case. Call us today at 206-741-1053
Damages Our Product Liability Lawyers in Portland May Recover
Compensation for All Your Losses
In a successful lawsuit, our Portland, OR product liability lawyers may win an award that compensates for your damages — the expenses and losses you suffered from the accident. Oregon law allows bike accident victims to recover the following damages:
- Economic damages for the monetary losses caused by your accident, such as medical and rehabilitation expenses, lost wages from being unable to work, property damage, and funeral costs in case of a death.
- Non-economic damages are the losses that do not have a specific dollar value but negatively impact your life, such as mental and physical pain and suffering, disability or disfigurement, and loss of consortium and enjoyment of life.
In some rare situations, you may also receive punitive damages to punish a defendant and discourage such actions in the future. According to Oregon law, (ORS 31.730), these can be awarded if the defendant “has acted with malice or has shown a reckless and outrageous indifference to a highly unreasonable risk of harm and has acted with a conscious indifference to the health, safety, and welfare of others. “
The amount you should receive depends on your case’s individual circumstances. In general, the more costly and severe injuries that involve permanent damage and require long-term care or result in death often bring the highest settlement awards. When you consult with us, our Strong Law attorneys will have an idea of what your case should be worth and the settlement we should fight for.
Defective Product Attorney Explains Product Injury Lawsuits
Suppose you have been injured by a defective product. In that case, you deserve compensation, and the parties responsible for the product defect should be held accountable for their negligence through a product liability lawsuit. Your defective product attorney will look for the type of defect that caused your injuries, and will also identify every party in the chain of distribution of the product who can be held liable.
Under Oregon’s Product Liability statutes (ORS § 30.900 et seq.), if you are injured by a defective product, then the manufacturer, distributor, seller, or lessor of the product may be held liable for your personal injury, death, or property damages that are caused by:
- Any design, inspection, testing, manufacturing, or other defects in a product. Manufacturing defects are flaws or defects that occur in the manufacturing process and may involve poor-quality materials or shoddy workmanship. Design defects occur when the design is flawed and the product is unreasonably dangerous and can cause injury, even though it is manufactured properly.
- Any failure to warn regarding a product. This occurs when a product has a non-obvious danger that could be avoided through adequate warnings.
- Any failure to properly instruct in the use of a product. Manufacturers are required to provide instructions to the user if the product must be used a certain way to be safe; they can be held liable if they fail to do so.
Depending on the circumstances, multiple parties may be responsible for your injuries. For example, the manufacturer may have made a defective product, and the retailer may have sold it even though they knew or should have known it was defective.
Sometimes, wholesalers, who are “middlemen” between the manufacturer and the retailer, may also be held liable. Our Portland product liability lawyers will investigate how the product was manufactured and distributed to find all parties potentially at fault for the damages you received. We will name them all as defendants in the lawsuit since they all may have insurance and assets that can go toward a settlement.
Product Injury Lawyers Must Prove Negligence
If a product liability lawsuit is based on negligence, our product injury lawyers would have to show the existence of the following elements:
- The defendant had a duty of care not to cause harm.
- This duty was breached because the product was defective and unreasonably dangerous.
- The product got to you and was used properly without a substantial change in condition.
- The defective product caused you harm.
- You suffered damages as a result.
In some cases, instead of trying to prove negligence, our Portland product liability attorneys can use the principle of “strict liability.” Under strict liability, it must only be shown that the product was defective, that the defect made the product unreasonably dangerous, and that the defect caused your injury.
“Unreasonably dangerous” means that the product must be more dangerous than an ordinary user would expect because of a flaw in the materials used, faulty manufacturing, an unsafe design, or inadequate instructions or warnings. Under strict liability, the product must have been used in a manner for which it is intended or reasonably anticipated and that it was not altered in a way that increased the risk of product failure or accident. Our product liability lawyers will utilize the evidence produced by our investigations to show that this was not the case.
Our Portland Product Liability Lawyers Answer FAQs
After being injured by a defective product, it is natural to have questions and concerns. These are best addressed in your free consultation, but to get started, here are some answers to questions our attorneys are often asked.
What Damage Awards Can I Receive?
There is a wide range of damage amounts that you may receive in a successful product liability lawsuit, from the thousands to millions of dollars. The amount you receive depends on the individual factors and circumstances of your case, such as the severity and permanence of your injuries, whether you need continuing care, your earning capacity, and whether you will be able to work in the future. The skill of your attorneys to negotiate and build your case is also a factor.
Are There Time Limits to Filing a Lawsuit?
Yes, Oregon has a statute of limitations (ORS 12.110) and a deadline for filing an injury lawsuit that is generally two years from the accident. The statute of limitations on wrongful death claims is generally three years from the time of death. If you fail to file on time, the courts will likely refuse to hear your case.
Should I Talk to the Insurance Company?
No, the less you say to insurance companies, the better. Insurance companies want to pay out as little as possible and use tactics such as making a lowball offer, they hope you will accept quickly, or trying to get you to admit that the accident was your fault. Tell the insurance company to talk to your attorney, and let Strong Law handle all negotiations to get you the settlement you deserve.
What if There was a Death from a Defective Product?
If you have lost your loved one due to a defective product, our attorneys might be able to file a wrongful death claim. In Oregon, the statute (ORS 30.020) allows the personal representative of the decedent to file a case for the benefit of the surviving spouse, surviving children, surviving parents, and other individuals who would be entitled to inherit the personal property of the decedent.
What if I did Something to Contribute to the Injury?
Even if you did something to contribute to the injury, you might still collect compensation. Oregon’s contributory negligence statute (ORS 31.600) does not bar recovery if you are not found to be more than 50% responsible for the resulting injury. However, the amount you collect will be reduced according to the percentage of fault you are found to have.
When you have our Strong Law attorneys on your side, we will be there for you throughout the entire legal process, answering your questions and keeping you informed.
“I hired Strong Law after my car accident. Jed and his team worked hard on my case. They were professional and compassionate through my surgery and as I recovered, and they were awesome on communication. I got justice and awesome compensation. I would recommend Strong Law to anyone in my situation.”
– Rick R.
“I want to thank Jed and Tory of Strong Law for their outstanding help with my case. The attention to details and keeping me informed at all times made for a positive outcome. Thank you again for your help, determination, and hard work. I would not hesitate to recommend you to anyone in need of an excellent lawyer.”
– Jaretta O.
“Unbelievable work! I had a claim involving my own insurance company. I tried to negotiate with them, and they completely denied my claim – two times. I then hired Strong Law, and the change was instant. The insurance company immediately began negotiating, and Jed was able to secure an unbelievably good settlement. I will never again attempt to take-on an insurance company without Strong Law in my corner. Thank you!”
– Jonathon S.
“Absolutely outstanding! I was involved in a motorcycle accident and Jed led the way! Definitely top notch! When it matters, call strong law!”
– Edwin S.
“While working a wrongful death case of my husband’s, throughout the legal process, Jed pursued every possible resource and angle to ensure that we would receive policy limits despite intense resistance from the representatives of the insurance companies. We are deeply grateful to him for the funds we received and the lasting friendship that grew out of the entire ordeal.”
Get Help from Our Product Liability Attorneys in Portland, OR
If you or a loved one has been injured or someone has died from a defective product, you deserve compensation for what you are going through. The product liability attorneys at Strong Law are here to help fight for justice and the settlement you deserve. We will take the burden off you by handling all investigations and legal hurdles involved with your case so you can focus on your recovery.
We work on a contingency basis, so there are no fees to you unless and until we win your case, so call us today at 206-741-1053 to get started.